Even though San Francisco is just a small part of the trip and with cities not being the focus, we are still keen to see quite a few things. It has been a lot of years since either of us have been there and we certainly want to discover some new things together.
We have not nailed down what we are going to see or in what order. There are a few items on the list which are ‘must sees’ but the rest we will sneek in as/when we can. Getting from place to place is probably going to be the hardest thing for us. We don’t plan on using much public transport but rather rely on Lyft services or walking between adjacent highlights.
There are quite a few things that we want to see in San Francisco. Among them are the following in no particular order.
Golden Gate Area
- Lands End (Camera Obscura and Legion of Honor. Home of ‘The Thinker’.)
- The Walt Disney Family Museum
- Fort Point National Historic Site
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Golden Gate Overlook
- Palace of Fine Arts Theatre
- California Academy of Science (rainforest, planetarium) located in the Golden Gate Park, 55 Music Concourse drive SF.
- Haight-Ashbury Street – interesting mix of people – near to Golden Gate Park
- Mission District, The Castro (gay area), Nob Hill; good suburbs to visit.
Look out of the Birds of Telegraph Hill. Mostly Cherry Headed Conures from Sth America.
- Russian Hill. Good views, has the Crookedest Street (Lombard St).
- Twin Peaks
- Alcatraz – We have this booked in already.
- Cable Car Museum – I have seen this before, so I expect this to be a low priority
- Coit Tower – Telegraph Hill
- Ferry Building Marketplace
- San Francisco Rail Museum
- Musée Mecanique
- Pier 39
- Westfield San Francisco Centre
- Union Square (great for people watching. I most want to see the new Apple Store – although I think that you have to now call it ‘Apple’.)
- Riding bikes along the foreshore
Looking at the list, it is a bit surprising to me that food isn’t a focus. Normally in larger cities like this, we have places that we really want to eat. This may be something that we need to do further work on before we leave home.
Looks like we are going to be in for a busy time!